It’s an extra-special Kale Force potluck at 6PM on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at the Powell River Community Resource Centre (4752 Joyce Avenue, Powell River, BC). FREE!Attack of the Squash People (by Marge Piercy)
in the valley of humid July
did sacrifice themselves
to the long green phallic god
and eat and eat and eat.
They’re coming, they’re on us,
the long striped gourds, the silky
babies, the hairy adolescents,
the lumpy vast adults
like the trunks of green elephants. Recite fifty zucchini recipes! Zucchini tempura; creamed soup;
sauté with olive oil and cumin,
tomatoes, onion; frittata;
casserole of lamb; baked
topped with cheese; marinated;
stuffed; stewed; driven
through the heart like a stake. […]
We’re calling the event a ‘Zucchinata’ (kind of like a squash-off), and you can prep for it beforehand: freeze your zucchini/squash/blossoms while you have them handy or earmark them on the plant for this event. Grated, chopped, dried, sliced, diced, liquefied and julienned, there’s no reason to give them away or (gasp!) compost the lovely creatures.
With a mild flavour that can take them from savory to spicy to sweet in a blink of an eye, zucchini are made for showing off using your creative wiles. Think of any cuisine you like and match it up with Zucchini: Thai, Spanish, Indian, Ethiopian— it’s wide open.
Pick your own favourite a recipe or try something completely new (there are a bunch at the end of this post), bring your creation (with accompanying recipe if you can) to our next foodie potluck and enter a world of zucchiniphilia.
General list of Zucc recipes:
- ‘cakes’: http://www.lifesambrosia.com/2009/02/zucchini-cakes-recipe.html
- pie/quiche: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Pie-2/Detail.aspx
- flowers: http://www.holycowvegan.net/2009/07/zucchini-flower-bhujias.html
- bread: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-zucchini-bread/
- muffins: http://southernfood.about.com/od/zucchinibread/r/r70819f.htm
- stew: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Tomato-Zucchini-Stew
- soup: http://southernfood.about.com/od/soupandstew/r/bl60804c.htm
- pickled: http://www.publicradio.org/columns/splendid-table/recipes/vegetable_pickles.html
- simple ‘Italian style’ http://apoetinthekitchen.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/zucchini-italian-style/ or this: http://www.italiansrus.com/recipes/zucchiniregina.htm
- raw in a salad: http://thegoodappatite.blogspot.ca/2009/10/zucchinata-di-cettina.html